Tuesday, December 8, 2015

FULFILLING OUR PURPOSE IN LIFE - Part 1




Have you ever asked yourself the question “What on earth am I here for?”  I think we all have either asked the question to ourselves, or have thought about it.  I have asked myself the question.  The reason why was because I had a desire to accomplish all that I was created to do.  I wanted to know my purpose for being alive, so I could make a difference in the world.  Life is a journey and it is all about understanding why we are born and knowing our purpose, so we can use our gifts and talents to fulfill the reason why we were placed on this earth.  The word “purpose” means the reason for which something exists or done, made or used.   Fulfilling our life’s purpose is about achieving our dreams and ambitions we feel we were created to do.  As we grow up and mature, we can come to know our purpose and pursue it. We must realize whatever we may feel called to do, it will include us helping and benefiting others.  That’s why it is important that we try to understand our life’s purpose so we can achieve it.  



When it comes to understanding our purpose in life, I believe we can find the answer by looking to God.  In fact, Rick Warren who is a pastor wrote a book titled “The Purpose Driven Life - What On Earth Am I Here For”.  Many people who desired to know their purpose and meaning in life bought the book, and it was on the New York Times best sellers list.  In the first section of the book called “Day 1 - It All Start with God”, he says when referring to life it’s not about you.  He explains, “The purpose of life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness.  It’s far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions.  If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God.  You were born by his purpose and for his purpose.  The search for purpose of life has puzzled people for thousands of years.  That’s because we typically begin at the wrong starting point – ourselves.  We ask self-centered questions like “What do I want to be?  What should I do with my life?  What are my goals, my ambitions, my dreams for my future? “ But focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life’s purpose.  The Bible says in Job 12:10, “It is God who directs the lives of his creatures; everyone’s life is in his power. ” 

I believe Rick Warren was saying to us, the true purpose of life comes from a relationship with God through Jesus.  It doesn’t come from people, events, job, or material wealth.  No person or thing can give our life meaning and purpose, only God who created us can do it.  The right perspective of life can help us to fulfill our purpose, and honor Him through our achievements.  In fact, here are five things that can help us discover and fulfill our purpose, which are: passion, preparation, plan, priority, and path.  Today we will cover passion and preparation.
·      Passion – It is having a love for something we enjoy doing.  Passion can help us discover our purpose.  When referring to fulfilling our life’s purpose, passion involves doing something we desire to do because we enjoy it.  You aren’t just doing something only to make money, but you are doing it because you love it.  The bonus is since you are good at it, you are able to make money doing it, but your whole desire is to help impact people.
·      Preparation – Once we come to know what our purpose in life is, it is important for us to work hard in order to get ready for fulfilling it.  Preparation for fulfilling your purpose might mean reading book(s) on the subject of your calling, or taking some classes in order to get ready for accomplishing your calling.  No matter whatever the area in life involving our purpose, we must be willing to do everything possible in order to fulfill our calling.      




We were created for God’s purpose to honor Him with our life, as we live out our life’s purpose here on earth.  Passion helps us to discover our life’s purpose, and preparation gets us ready for fulfilling it.  I am fulfilling my life’s purpose through “Living In The Family”.  My desire is to impact people helping them to have healthy and strong marital and family relationships, and one of the ways I am doing this is by writing blogs on the subject of marriage and family.   As a man I have developed into the husband and father that I am today, and because of it I am able to write about it in my blogs.  Whether your purpose is being an entrepreneur owning your own business, running a nonprofit organization, leading a group of people in an organization, leading a family or marriage in the home, pastoring a church, or achieving whatever your desires are in life.  Life is about doing what we were placed on this earth to do, which is to fulfill our life’s purpose.


Would love to hear your thoughts, questions, or feedback.



No comments:

Post a Comment