Monday, April 20, 2015

IN-LAWS, THE EXTENDED FAMILY - Part 1



Image result for in-laws
                                                                     

My wife and I are going on 31 years of marriage, and I must say, we haven’t had any major problems with our in-laws over the years.  Don’t get me wrong, we have had our differences at times with them, but as a married couple, we have always been able to talk to each other about issue(s), we were having with our in-laws without taking it personally.  Whatever decision we made to resolve an issue(s), we supported each other in order to correct the problem.  I believe we have built such a good enough relationship with our in-laws, that we could go and talk to them about how we are feeling.  In fact I remember at least two incidents involving our in-laws that we had to deal with in our marriage.
·         The first incident involved my wife and mother.  When our first child Danielle was a baby, she was having problems with her stomach.  My mother being the helpful person that she was kept calling my wife giving her suggestions on what she could do to remedy our daughter’s problem.  My wife came to me expressing that she felt like my mother wasn’t giving her a chance to learn how to be a mother.  I told her how my mother was only trying to help, but I encouraged my wife to talk to my mother about the matter.  She did and my mother understood and respected Donna’s feelings and backed off. 




·         The second incident involved my wife’s family.   My wife grew up in a family that smoked cigarettes.  I remember when we were dating always smelling cigarettes, all over her apartment.  When we got married we talked and decided, whenever we have family functions our in-laws can come over, but they couldn’t smoke in our house.  We ask her family whenever they came over to visit; we would appreciate it, if they wouldn’t smoke in our home.  They respected us enough to comply with our wishes.  I know our in-laws on both sides haven’t liked every decision we made, but because we had built a good enough relationship with them, they honored our wishes and complied with requests. 



I share these stories with you because in so many instances a lot of married couples have problems with their in-laws.  These problems can cause serious conflicts in the marriage, even to the point of divorce.  We haven’t had any major problems with in-laws, but I have heard of some stories of married couples who have had their share of problems with in-laws.  In most cases it is a wife who is having problems with her mother-in-law.  That’s why in these series of blogs, we will be providing tips for building and getting along with our in-laws, and strengthening our relationship with our spouse.  In order to deal with problems that in-laws can cause in marriage, it must be dealt with properly by both spouses.  In-laws will try to hold our marriage or family hostage, and try to interfere with our marriage and family relationship.  That’s why as husbands and wives we must be one together to setup and govern our home. 

Image result for in-laws


We must be in agreement with our spouse in order to handle any situations with in-laws.  If not, it will hinder our marriage.  That’s why the Bible gives us principles to help us with our marriage, because God wants a strong and healthy marriage.  In fact in Genesis 2:24 it says, “This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.”  This is telling us as husbands, we are responsible to leave or mother and father, and become one with our wife.  This doesn’t mean we stop loving and caring for our parents, but our job is to become one with our wife.  Also, wives even though the command is given to the husband, you must be willing to do the same to leave your mother and father, and become one with your husband.  It doesn’t mean we can’t even get advice from our parents or their opinion, but we need to talk with our spouse first when it involves our family.  No longer are we to keep running to mommy and daddy, but we must handle our business together as husband and wife.  We will talk more in the next blog about becoming one with our spouse, because that will help you manage through the extended family of dealing with in-laws in marriage.  

Would love to hear your thoughts, questions, or feedback.





No comments:

Post a Comment